- Do I know the purpose for the meeting, why is it being called ?
- Is it clear who is leading the meeting ?
- Is there an agenda ?
- Did I get the agenda in advance, so that I could prepare for the meeting ?
- Is there a time limit set for the meeting ?
- Do I need to be present for the whole meeting, or can I just attend for a shorter period of time ?
- Did I get minutes from the last meeting ?
- Will minutes and actionable items be tabled at this meeting ?
- Was I given enough notice of the meeting ?
- If the meeting has been called with very little, or no notice, is it a real emergency ?
- Should I be attending the meeting versus working on the priroties I have set for the day.
Qualties of an effective meeting:
Generates: Focus ; Enthusiam, Clear expectations ; improved communication; Synergy
Some valuable types of meetings to have:
Planning sessions- Figuring out what as a team we plan to do
Brainstorming - get lots of ideas from different perspectives.
Identifying problems and needs
Engergizing & Supporting People
Evaluating Results and celebrating sucesses
Focus on ‘what’ needs to be done ; not necessarily the details of how it should be done ; generate owners for ‘hows’ ; expected results; and a timeframe to members of the team, and avoid getting bogged down in conflicting suggestions and methods from everyone.